FLAGSTAFF – The Coconino County Public Health Services District (CCPHSD) is offering seasonal flu shots at the CCPHSD Clinic in Flagstaff. To schedule an appointment, call the Clinic at 928-679-7222 or toll-free at 1-877-679-7272.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends a yearly flu vaccination as the first and most important step in protecting against flu viruses. It is strongly recommended that everyone 6 months old and over get a flu shot each year.
The cost for a flu vaccination at a CCPHSD Clinic is $30 for adults and children. As a courtesy, the CCPHSD will bill an insurance company, but individuals seeking a flu shot should check with their insurance provider to determine whether they are covered. For people without insurance, the Vaccines For Adults/Children (VFA and VFC) programs are available to assist those that are unable to pay.
The following groups should get a flu vaccination because they are at high risk of having serious flu-related complications or because they live with or care for people at high risk for developing flu-related complications, including:
- Pregnant women
- Children younger than 5, but especially children younger than 2 years old
- Children with special healthcare needs
- People 50 years of age and older
- People of any age with certain chronic medical conditions
- People who live in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities
- People who live with or care for those at high risk for complications from flu, including:
Health care workers
Household contacts of persons at high risk for complications from the flu
Household contacts and out of home caregivers of children less than 6 months of age (these children are too young to be vaccinated)
Flu symptoms include fever, chills, muscle aches, cough, congestion, runny nose, headaches and fatigue. Complications of flu can include bacterial pneumonia, ear infections, sinus infections, dehydration and worsening of chronic medical conditions, such as congestive heart failure, asthma, or diabetes and can cause death.
In addition to getting a seasonal flu shot, good health habits will help you stay well. These simple actions can stop the spread of germs and help protect you and others from getting sick:
- Wash your hands frequently during the flu season.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
- Avoid contact with people who are sick.
- Cover your mouth with your upper sleeve or with a tissue when coughing or sneezing.
- Don’t share eating utensils, cups, and straws.
- Stay home when you are sick.
Additional information is available at www.coconino.az.gov/health. Contact your health care provider or call the Coconino County Public Health Services District Clinic at 928-679-7222 or toll-free at 1-877-679-7272.