UPDATE: The family dog was transported to the veterinarian clinic in Flagstaff and did survive the ordeal. The Williams Police Department reports the dog is in good condition.
WILLIAMS—After their arrival, it took less than fifteen-minutes for Williams Firefighters to reduce the blaze at 119 Sherman to a smoldering ember. No one was home at the time except the family dog.
Firefighters took on the blaze in the rental with a fire cannon and hose. They also sprayed neighboring homes to prevent the spread of the intense heat. The fire began about 9:50 a.m.
Neighbors across the street reported hearing a pop and going outside to find a black bag burning on the porch. They reported the fire to the Williams Fire Department.
While firefighters rescued the dog, paramedics at the scene were not allowed to administer any manner of medical treatment or first aid.
“It should not take any special training to give a dog an oxygen mask,” local resident Brenda Carter complained.