PHOENIX — Arizona’s largest hands-on outdoor expo is next week and it’s FREE! The Arizona Game and Fish Department Outdoor Expo, presented by Shikar Safari Club International, will be held on Saturday, March 25, and Sunday, March 26, at the Ben Avery Shooting Facility in Phoenix. The event offers loads of activities, presentations and exhibits for everyone from novices to seasoned outdoor recreationists.
The Expo has come a long way since its 2004 inception that had only a handful of attractions and exhibitors. It is now one of the north Valley’s biggest and best-attended events of the year.
Some of the things attendees can do include:
- View live wildlife exhibits (hawks, reptiles, small mammals, more).
- Give kayaking a try at the “Lake Paddlemore” kayaking pond.
- Hike a field course and learn cool camping tips.
- Take the kids to two huge catch-and-release fishing tanks.
- Learn target archery.
- Try out different firearms in a safe, controlled environment on the range.
- Learn specialty shooting disciplines – clay target, cowboy action, and more.
- Learn from informative talks on wildlife and outdoor recreation.
- Cowboy mounted shooting match at Royce W. Anderson Family Arena.
- View OHV exhibits, rock crawler demos, learn about responsible riding.
- View boating exhibits and learn about watercraft safety.
- Visit with more than 150 exhibitors.
Admission and parking are free, but people might want to bring a little cash for the variety of food and beverage concessionaires and other vendors. ATMs will be on-site.
Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, March 25, and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday, March 26. The Expo entrance is on Carefree Highway about a half-mile west of I-17. Just follow the signs.
The title sponsor of the Arizona Game and Fish Department Outdoor Expo is Shikar Safari Club International. Gold Sponsors are OneAZ Credit Union and Shooter’s World/Daniel Defense.
For more information, visit www.azgfd.gov/expo.